September 21, 2024 TPS Workshop–Character Development: Using the Myers Briggs Type Indicator to Create Believable, Multi-layered Characters, by Barbara V. Evers
September 21 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm EDT
Character Development: Using the Myers Briggs Type Indicator to Create Believable, Multi-layered Characters
Don’t make your readers toss the book across the room in disgust.
Taught by a certified Myers Briggs facilitator and award-winning author, this workshop will explain how the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) can help you create believable personalities for your characters…and you might learn something about yourself in the process! We will explore your character’s behaviors by looking at:
- What makes your characters tick?
- How do they recharge?
- What kinds of information do they trust and how do they gather it?
- What goes into their decision-making process?
- What’s their approach to organization, structure, and planning?
Mix up these traits in the wrong way, and you will send a frustrating message to your reader—you don’t know your character.
By the end of this workshop, you will be able to:
- Establish your character’s type
- Recognize examples of the four areas that create the sixteen MBTI types and how you might use this information to create characters who leap off the page
- Begin to develop how your character behaves under normal circumstances and how their environment might change those behaviors
- Describe what happens to your character’s type under stress and conflict
Barbara V. Evers is the author of THE WATCHERS OF MONIAH epic fantasy trilogy, a short
story collection, PIECES OF HER, and several short stories and essays. From the mysterious
Dark Corner of South Carolina, she crafts fantasy stories with strong women matriarchies and
unusually gifted and clever animals. A two-time Imadjinn Best Fantasy Novelist, she’s won
several awards for her writing over the years including a Pushcart Prize nomination.
Barbara is a supporter and advocate for animal conservation and seeks to educate others about endangered species. The giraffes in THE WATCHERS OF MONIAH are no longer endangered, but giraffes in our world are suffering a silent extinction. As an advocate, Barbara contributes a portion of her royalties to support the work of The Giraffe Conservation Foundation. When she’s not writing, Barbara uses her degrees in Zoology and Communication to conduct training workshops for businesses. Maybe she really can speak to animals!
Any other time, she can be found herding her husband, two grandchildren, and her rescue dog,
Roxy (but don’t tell them).